Sunday, February 26, 2012

My life really isn't all about my wedding...

I was playing around on Ravelry and someone posted a "funny" article about bridesmaids complaining about a bride.  I thought it was more bitchy than funny, and if someone really feels this angry about things they should probably not be in the couple's wedding.  There was much debate on the forum about #1 - not talking about anything but the wedding.  This particularly annoyed me because the first thing people ask me about when I haven't seen them for a few weeks (days?) is "how is the wedding planning going?" So don't get pissy if that's what I talk about - you probably asked.  I'm not really obsessed with my wedding, but lets be honest with ourselves my life is not a thrill ride (thank goodness) and right now my wedding is the most exciting thing going on for me.  Here's the other thing, I actually do have other big things going on but they aren't necessarily happy things, and unless I know you well, I won't be bringing those up.

So, now on to other things I can talk about -

I actually picked up my living room today.  This is a big undertaking because I hate cleaning and I have stacks of paper everywhere.  Paper is my nemesis in the cleaning scheme of things.  I'm trying to be better, but it's not successful.  Seriously, it's to the point where aunts are suggesting that I keep my room clean for Lent.  Yep, I'm still a 10 year old who needs to be nagged to clean my room.  I keep using the excuse that I need a system, or that once I get it clean I'll be good and keep it clean.  The reality is that I am really bad at putting away clothes.  They get thrown on the futon in my bedroom and left there.  Mail gets looked at and dropped on counter instead of being put in the recycle.  I pin ideas on pinterest to get me motivated - so far it's not working.  This concerns me greatly.

I've never been a neat nick, and Michael is similarly not super organized. We go through bursts, but it's not consistent.  But I would like to possibly, maybe, god willing, have kids someday.  And it just seems that a cleaner house is a necessity - I don't want to be THAT family where school work gets lost, things are cluttered  etc.    People tell me that having kids forces you to find the time/energy but what if it doesn't?  My mom always had our house really neat - I'm not sure if I can achieve that, and that makes me really sad.  As much as she drove (drives?) me nuts, my mom did a pretty spectacular job of being a great mom, managing the house cleaning, ensuring we had a homemade meal, and working.  How did she not collapse from exhaustion?

My sister does the same thing.  She is an awesome job and manages to cook, clean, and even festively decorate for holidays - and while my brother-in-law is awesome, those are not tasks that are his strong suit.

I have nightmares that my family comes to visit and my house is like one of those out of horders....seriously, I'm not quite balanced anymore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've had the same worries, myself. My system is "Yes it looks chaotic, but I know where everything is so TOUCH NOTHING." It doesn't go over well with the fiance and I doubt that will last with kids. I'm making concerted efforts to create small areas of contained, chaotic space that lets the rest of the house stay neat. Like, the second shelf on the bookcase is where I dump everything (mail, keys, gloves) when I walk in the door. It can get as messy as it wants, and then every few weeks I clear it up. There is a chair in the bedroom that exists solely to be a place I throw my clothes. The corner by the wall near my desk is where the Stack of Papers lives. It's working out ok so far...