Sunday, February 19, 2012

Addictions

I'm officially a Pinterest addict.  It's been especially helpful in thinking of wedding ideas...but also in organizing craft projects, knitting ideas, organization (which I will someday achieve) and new recipes to try.

Now that I'm so good at pinning I've set a goal of actually doing/making what I pin.

Yesterday was cooking up the Carmelized Creamy-Onion Soup that I tried at a friend's home a few weeks back.  She has a board for her soup nights and I eagerly stole the recipe.  Unfortunately I failed to take photos, as it was supposed to be Michael and my belated Valentine's dinner - so taking pictures would have sort of wrecked the couples cooking. However, if I did this right there should be a picture/pin below:

Yeah!  I think it worked

Anyway, things I learned from this awesome soup:

1: Leeks are in the onion family.  Common sense to most, Michael tells me, but I was surprised how much my eyes watered.
2: This recipe does not cheap out on the onions.  7 large shallots, 2 large vidalias, 4 leeks...two days later and my apartment still smells like onions.  It was so strong that even Michael, in the living room, was complaining about his eyes being irritated.
3: It takes a lot longer than I anticipated.  I figured an hour, maybe an hour and a half when in reality it took almost three.  It took forever for the onion/shallot/garlic/leek mixture to brown.  I ended up turning up the heat to just above medium.

Otherwise, it's not a complicated recipe and it is soooo good.  Pair with some crusty bread and I'm in heaven.


No comments: